Friday, January 7, 2011

Why am I doing this?

I'm taking a stand and fighting Facebook and their constant deleting of breastfeeding pictures and finally a support group for breastfeeding moms numerous times. I will be content if Facebook would make a statement and change their terms of use, but otherwise, their word cannot be trusted. In December 2008 they said, "Photos containing a fully exposed breast - as defined by showing the nipple or areola - do violate those terms on obscene, pornographic or sexually explicit material and may be removed..." yet, they have continued to remove breastfeeding pictures that have been taken or cropped to meet these requirements.
Because I want to support those who want to post their breastfeeding pictures, even if I choose not to.
Because of my hard, wonderful, and many experiences with breastfeeding.
Because there are some who want to breastfeed, but have no previous experience with it.
Because there are some who don't even know they have a choice to breastfeed.
Because I (and others) should not feel the need to leave a room to feed our baby, whether it be with a bottle or a breast.
Because if I decide to Breastfeed, giving my baby a bottle can cause problems with breastfeeding.
Because pumping hurts (at least for me) and is time consuming...think of feeding your baby twice as long.
Because certain formula companies have unethical practices toward breastfeeding moms in third world countries.
Because it is safe...I don't have to worry about it being recalled.
Because my children need to know what breasts are made for.
Because my family lives 2,000 miles away and they can use Facebook to keep in touch.
I don't have the time to sort through all the pictures I take of the kids and if by chance there is one of me nursing with just a little skin showing, who knows whether it is my arm or not? Why should that be taken down?
Last of all:
Because Facebook has a double standard. If they removed groups such as Playboy, pictures of teens or other women in their skimpy bikinis, or crude pictures, it would be saying something, BUT THEY DON'T! Facebook continues to allow members and groups who breastfeed and support mothers to be removed, even if their pictures are discreet or just as revealing as some of the other pictures. Personally, I would like people to know that breasts aren't just a sexual thing (don't get me wrong, my husband enjoys them too.), but have a divine purpose.

No comments: