Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Random, quick update

The boys are enjoying their new home and I thought I would give a quick update of what they have been up to:
Jarom is in Sunbeams (Primary at church) and has been learning the songs for the program coming up in November. He has been doing a great job memorizing the words considering his seeming lack of memory. We have also started working on learning to read (this is a learning process for me homeschooling) and checked out some great beginning books from the library. His current favorite is "Alphabet Mystery" by Audrey Wood. He is memorizing parts of the story and telling it to me when we read it. He is also learning addition from Matthew mainly and I think we are going to start learning to write the letters in the next week. He wrote a capital J very well tonight at dinner and that gives me confidence that he will learn well.
Courage is still a ball of energy running from one side of the apartment to the other (I feel bad for our downstairs neighbors!). He has been learning the primary songs and ABCs right alongside Jarom and has quite the memory. He has also been very observant to where everything has been placed. Today, after Matt finished eating some chips and salsa and was putting the chips away, Courage came up to him and asked for a chip. Matt said "No, I'm putting them away now." and proceeded to look for a clip for the bag. After checking 1 drawer and not finding the clips, he opened another one and didn't see them there. Courage, having observed daddy for a minute went right to the drawer where I had put them and got one out and handed it to daddy. It was impressive how he knew what Matt was looking for.
Matt is adjusting to grad school and has loved being back in physics again. The hardest part is the schedule for all of us...and the homework taking his time.
I'm a teacher in primary (sunbeams) and loving it! The kids are really great and forgiving. In my not so spare time...in order to relax and procrastinate other less desirable tasks...such as dishes...I've finished piecing together a denim blanket top (pics to come soon) and worked on knitting Matt's gloves. This week has brought on an urge to sew and with it I have worked on the blanket top and some cross stitch that has been sitting around for 2 years. If I had diaper covers cut out or other stuff ready to sew it would be better, but the desire to cut out stuff to sew is failing me and so it waits!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for updating. Another great way to teach reading is "Learn to Read in 100 Easy Lessons". It is my new favorite book! I can't wait to see the denim top.