

I'm currently debating what to use for material for the back...muslin, more denim, flannel, a cotton fabric? The main factors are cost and wear: We don't have a lot for me to spend on the material for the backing and I may have some flannel in my stash that would cover it, but would it match and would I have enough to finish the other projects that I have it for? Muslin is cheap enough, but how would it wear? So far my experience with muslin has been favorable, but this is meant to be a picnic blanket that would experience more wear being on the ground. That brings me back to the denim option, but that is expensive and makes for a heavy blanket. I've also thought about making it fold into itself as a bag with handles...hmmm...to find a pattern...or at least a tutorial.
On other projects:
I've started Courage's Halloween costume: He is going to be Pluto the dog. He was thrilled when we went and picked out his yellow fabric on Saturday and wanted to carry it around like a blanket...thankfully I have a few scraps of fleece in my stash (you never know when that scrap will come in handy!) and pulled one out for the boys to play with. I will post pictures when I get it done.
Jarom is going to be Mickey Mouse again this year and if anyone is interested in knowing how I made his costume, let me know.
Since I've had this urge to sew I picked up some cross stitch that has been sitting around waiting for me to finish it and got to work. Significant progress has been made and I finally feel like I'm getting back in the groove of holding a needle and thread again.
There have been other projects that are interesting me, but at this point I think I'd better get started cutting out more diaper covers for when this little one comes and for the ever-growing Courage who is wearing through what he has and not quite potty trained.
2 comments:
I recommend muslin. Flannel will capture and hold any grass that you picnic on (I know from sad experience). Denim will hold up, but two layers of denim would be heavy to lug around. Muslin is the best of the three options - just make sure to get it in a color that hides all the spills, dirt and mud!
I have flannel on the back of mine. It is nice and warm, and a really fuzzy soft quilt for winter!
Post a Comment