Saturday, October 17, 2009

Homemade yogurt and Disney on Ice!

They are not related unless you consider they come from the same person. I'm so excited and just found out that we won 4 tickets to see Disney on Ice on opening night! It will be a fun experience for the boys...especially Jarom, who loves Mickey. That makes me wonder if I should let them dress up in their Halloween costumes that night...Mickey and Pluto.
On to the yogurt making...it is so easy! I made a batch last week from this recipe. It was done Saturday night and we didn't really dig into it until Monday. One of the bonuses of making your own yogurt is that you can control the ingredients. This is unsweetened and "bland" as Matthew called it, until you add some form of sweetening. I really like honey as a natural sweetener and use local honey for the allergy blocking properties it helps you acquire. About a teaspoon is all you need to sweeten around 3/4 cup (that is about how much I give each of the boys). Then, I throw in some raisins (it was the first thing I had ready and available the first time the boys had it...and all they want now), mix it up and you have your own healthy breakfast.
I personally am not a big yogurt fan. After many bad experiences trying to eat it, I almost gave up completely. But, the Activia and Danactive yogurts have made me try eating it again due to the live cultures they contain. It has made me wonder if I could get all of the different live cultures from these and the regular one (acidopholis) all in one yogurt as I make my own batches. Would they eat one another out? I particularly like the Danactive, but only in Blueberry and DEFINITELY NOT the low fat mixed berry variety (one bad mix up!). Thinking about this made me decide to try and make my own version. I mixed up some blueberries and honey in the yogurt, then added a touch of milk to thin it out and wallah! My own version of the yogurt smoothies...now on to figuring out the different cultures.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think costumes are in order for such a special event! Have fun!